Tuesday, June 19, 2012

French Please!

Dimaya has recently taken an interest in French!  I'm not exactly sure how it came about, but I'm thinking it has something to do with her browsing youtube cartoons that pop up when she is looking for cartoons in Spanish. She comes to me and says, "Maaammaa...Freeeeennncchhh please!" She can count to ten in french and knows some of the colors, but always leaves out trois and neuf.  I'm not sure why lol! When she was learning her numbers in Spanish she always left out tres and cinco, but that worked itself out just like I believe the French will. I really want her to learn any language(s) that she wants and I will help facilitate her learning as best I can. 


I will admit that my French skills are garbage compared to my Spanish. I believe it's just lack of use though. It's all the verb tenses that I have to remember...which isn't as tough to me as Spanish. The preterite and conditional tenses always throw me off in Spanish. I planned on slowly reviving my French during this Language Challenge 180, however I find that I am always speaking Spanish because I have my two lovely niñas with me all day everyday this summer. It means I would really have to make a huge effort since my youngest is only 2 months and she needs me quite a bit. I don't have any real French resources for her to gain fluency, but maybe on day we'll live somewhere much more diverse. 


I am fond of the shows I allow Dimaya to watch during her allotted youtube time. Her all time favorites in Spanish are Pocoyo and Doki Descubre. She likes Dora, but Dora doesn't do enough immersion for me.  She also enjoys watching Pocoyo in French. We found some of the older cartoons like Mickey Mouse in both languages as well.  I've been listening to the news in Spanish on a great website called News in Slow Spanish. At least I can turn it on and just listen. I think my next step trying out audiobooks in Spanish ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment