Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Health/Fitness Update!

I know...I know...I'm playing catch up with my blog! It's a good thing while I have the help :) Besides, I have a lot things I want to cover! This post is going to be about my health/fitness journey. In a previous blog (right after Valentine's Day), I was writing about trying Zumba. Since then I have been a very loyal Zumba participant. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Zumba, it was created by dancer/choreographer Alberto "Beto" Perez in Colombia in the 1990's. It combines a mix of latin dances, including salsa, cha-cha, cumbia, bachata, and many many more. It almost doesn't feel like exercise! It's kind of like going to the club in a way lol! In my Tuesday night class, which continues to grow each week, the women are friendly and we have a lovely instructor. I am also seeing the results of my exercise! Since I have been running (I live a block from a park), doing Yoga/Pilates at home, Zumba, and eating better (i.e, snacking more throughout the day and eating less at one time), I have broken into the weight bracket below the one in which I was experiencing a plateau. I have new running shoes with inserts for my crazy high arches and I'm really enjoying exercising with them.

I have decided that I will run a 5K this fall. I want to give myself time to prepare and Dimaya will be older (nursing less, which totally helps the breast scene). I have 2 weddings to attend this summer, one in Little Rock where I am a bridesmaid, and the other in Milwaukee. Right now my focus is to just lose weight. I'll start training after all of these events take place. Keep in mind that I'm still running, just not training! I also have decided that I want to become a licensed Zumba instructor by the end of the year! I really love this fitness style and feel that it is one of the best choices I've made for myself in a long time!

Since I've been visiting my parents in Texas, I knew I wouldn't make my Tuesday night class so I've been using YouTube to do a few of the routines posted by other Zumba instructors. Since my mother is starting her path to Yoga certification, we do Yoga together in the mornings. Dimaya does really well as she tries to imitate some of the poses herself :) All in all, I happy to report that I am still confident in my health mission and the goals are set and clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment